Blog Archive

Saturday, August 29, 2009

and the Mystery in Dreaming

Last night I had a really weird dream. I often have really weird dreams. And then everyone who ever talks about dreams says that they are "windows to the soul," and that we share our hopes and fears through them. Well if that's true, then my soul has a lot of issues. But anyway, I enjoy my crazy dreams and I wanted to share this one.

I was on a huge boat, for some sort of cruise or something, even though I'm terrified of boats. What I'm more terrified of, though, are submarines. And after a while of cruising along, the boat turned into a submarine and sunk deep into the ocean.

After some time on our journey, two British ladies asked me to join them. One was very old, and one was younger. In dreamland I knew who these women were, but in reality I've never seen or heard of them. When I came into their presence, they asked me if I knew how to waltz. I immediately put up my arms as if I were dancing with an imaginary partner, and I spent quite a time considering if my left or right hand was supposed to be in his hand. Then I started dancing around, still with an invisible boy. I looked over at the two ladies for approval, and the old one was rubbing her forehead with her fingertips as if annoyed. "Just kill her," she said.

I stopped dancing, stunned. The younger woman then explained that she was being blackmailed by the captain of the ship (or someone important like that), and she would be killed if she didn't kill ME.

So naturally I ran away, and for some reason they didn't follow me. Then I began wandering around the ship, looking for people that I knew and telling them what was going on. After a while, I had a very small "army" by my side, ready to fight for me. When put in a room with the other "army" though, we realized we were nowhere near as big. Then Jacob came up to me and asked what was going on.

"Thank goodness!" I said. "I've been looking for you everywhere. The young British lady has been blackmailed, and she will be killed if she doesn't kill me! So my friends are helping me defend myself. Will you help too?"

He just laughed at me. I pleaded with him to please stay with me and help me. He ignored me and just continued to laugh, no matter how many times I asked. That's the last I can remember of that dream.

But then I had two more dreams in which I was telling Jacob about the boat dream. And now it's real life and I'm waiting for him to text me back so I can tell him about it for real.

And I had a few more dreams that I would just rather not talk about.

Anyway. On to real life.

Jacob and I are on a quest to center God in our relationship, because as much as we've both wanted that, it's just not working out (mostly because we're not truthfully making much of an effort). So he came up with the idea that we would be sort of "accountability partners." Not all the way. We just promised each other that we would spend half an hour a day in prayer, for the relationship, for each other, and for our individual relationships with God. And then I came up with the idea that once a week we should focus on a chapter of the Bible, and I asked him if we could each memorize one verse that meant the most to us that week and then share our verses with each other. (Quizzing withdrawals, what can I say? Not memorizing scripture makes me feel like I'm not keeping my sword very sharp.)

He really liked the idea, which makes me feel good because I feel like I don't really contribute much to our relationship. Not because I don't want to, I'm just not very smart or creative, and he's both of those things.

So this week we're reading 1 Thessalonians chapters 1 and 2, and when quizzing kicks up we're going to do the same chapters the quizzers are doing (since I'm going to be a Quiz Master this year).

In other news, I plan to be fully moved into my apartment on September 12th. That's incidentally my first day as a Quiz Master (scramble meet), so it'll be like a step into adulthood.

That's all I can think of for now!

1 comment:

  1. Suggestion #1: Add relationship accountability partners. By this I mean, find a couple (married preferably) who you give full permission into your relationship. They get to ask all of those questions no one is supposed to and make sure ya'll are staying where you want to stay. It helps you be honest with the world and with each other. And it makes you a team.

    Suggestion #2: Don't dream about boats in your new bed. If you try to jump off the boat you may actually injure yourself.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm a Starbucks barista, and I like adventures.

Followers