Blog Archive

Monday, October 4, 2010

and the Quest for Optimism

Well, my road trip has come and gone. To the naked eye, the week kind of sucked. In order to enjoy the trip, I had to work hard on something that I'm not very good at: looking on the bright side.


Before we even left Seattle, two of my bags went missing. It's like they disappeared into thin air. I have not a clue as to where they could be. My suitcase full of ALL my clothes, and my bag full of ALL my cosmetics. My straightener, my blow dryer, my shampoo/conditioner, my makeup, my hairbrush... ALL of my cosmetics. So I had to pack a garbage bag full of the clothes I had left, which of course were all of my ugly clothes, and then I was on my way. I promised Brandon I wouldn't let it ruin the trip, and that I'd cry about it after I got home.


The next morning, I got a terrifying phone call. I won't write what it was about so as not to embarrass a dear, dear friend of mine; but it left me terrified for my health, to be vague. I think I'm okay and healthy, but all week long it was totally consuming my thoughts. It was really hard to get over.


We got lost more times than I care to admit. One night we got so lost that we were actually 7 hours off track, and we missed a hotel reservation that I had paid for, and ended up having to pay for a hotel elsewhere. The fact is, though, that I have been saving for this trip for so long that I had more money than I knew what to do with. I was very prepared, so it was all ok. It just threw me off that nothing was going as planned.


The good news is that Brandon and I had a wonderful trip. Even though it wasn't exactly what I was planning, and I didn't get to see everything I wanted to see, it was a week away. A week away from work, a week with my best friend in the world. I saw my favorite band perform from the FRONT ROW. I saw so many people that I've been longing to see. I had some really good talks with Brandon, I had some really good moments with God. I learned a lot of things.


Situations really are what you make of them. If Paul can praise God from prison with joy, I can certainly find happiness in a situation that was only sort of difficult to deal with.


Anyway, that was my week in a nutshell. ("Ah! I'm in a nutshell!")


By the way, I've started writing a few songs. Just for those of you who wanted an update since I wrote that blog about writing music. I haven't gotten very far on the actual project, but I had a few really good ideas while I was driving and I started on those. One song is completely finished. Another is halfway done. I think they're pretty decent.

That's that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a Starbucks barista, and I like adventures.

Followers